Sunday, 5 October 2014

Marumo

I'm baaaack and there is no better restaurant than Marumo to share my experience with you for my first blog post in 6 months, this is because getting a booking at Marumo is an achievement in itself as they do not take bookings more than 2 months in advance and they are currently fully booked until 31st December 2014! So when JL asked if I wanted to join her for dinner with her hubby and workmates, I jumped at the chance and boy was I glad I did.


I first heard about Marumo in early 2013 but I wasn't able to secure a booking because by the time I decided to book, they were moving from Leeming to Nedlands. The exterior of Marumo is understated, I had been driving up and down Stirling Highway in the last month and didn't notice that it was there.


I was honoured to have the opportunity to interview Chef Moe as we were the last table to leave this evening. Chef Moe is originally from Burma and came to study in Perth in 1999. His passion for Japanese food started at his part time job in Hayashi Japanese Restaurant when he was a student; he continued to work there for 12 years before getting his own shop in 2011 - a fish and chips shop in Leeming. In 2012, he decided to open his shop for dinner, not as a fish and chips shop but a Japanese restaurant. Chef Moe tapped into his creativity and 13 years of experience with Japanese food and designed his very own omakase (which means I'll leave it to you in Japanese) menu which changes regularly and was so well received by patrons, he soon only opened for dinner and it became near impossible to secure a booking. Two years on, Chef Moe and his success story moved from their fish and chips shop in Leeming to a sophisticated restaurant in the heart of Nedlands. Marumo is actually not a Japanese word but a marriage of Chef Moe's name, his wife Marie's name and you, the customer, hence Mar - u - Mo, I loved how the name was derived.

For $55 per person, you will get to enjoy the omakase menu at Marumo which changes monthly. They only do one seating each evening as the full dining experience lasts approximately 3 hours and commences at 7pm.

Our omakase menu
Tuna, Ikura and Avocado
Croquette and Mentaiko
Duck and Tamago
Chef's Selection of Sashimi
Salmon Belly Sushi
Sous-vide Black Angus
Green Tea and Strawberry

Just reading the menu, I couldn't quite picture how the food will be presented but I was super excited!

Food and presentation - 4.5/5
The food at Marumo was fantastic! So why didn't I give them 5/5 you ask? It was because the sous-vide black Angus was just warm (probably because it was cooked using the sous-vide method but I wasn't a fan) and eventhough all the dishes tasted fantastic, the flavours were nothing new. Yes, yes, I always have something to complain about.


Each dish was carefully assembled, beautifully presented and everyone's dish was the same in terms of portion size and presentation which demonstrates Chef Moe's attention to detail. I was a bit worried at the beginning that I won't be full as the first few dishes were quite small but the dishes increased in size as the night progressed and we were all full by the end of dinner.

We were presented with an amuse bouche of squid salad before the first course and they also gave us an orange sorbet before the sous-vide black Angus which was not on the menu. Everything on the menu tasted fantastic but my favourite was the duck and tamago and salmon belly sushi. The sashimi was really fresh and there were scallops! Yum! The dessert was a lovely touch to finish off the evening of great food.
Squid Salad
Tuna, Ikura and Avocado
Croquette and Mentaiko
Duck and Tamago
Chef's Selection of Sashimi
Salmon Belly Sushi
Orange Sorbet
Sous-vide Black Angus
Green Tea and Strawberry

Service - 4/5
Water and green tea was served to each of us as we sat down and was topped up regularly throughout the night. Staff were friendly, polite and professional in the way they carried out their duties, though I think they will benefit by employing professionally trained staff to further enhance the dining experience for patrons. 

Atmosphere and decor - 4/5
Simple yet sophisticated. The restaurant at most can seat around 26 people and Chef Moe stated that this was to keep the dining experience intimate and for quality control, both of which was achieved exceptionally well. 

Value for money - 5/5
$55 per head for an omakase dining experience? Yes please especially for such fantastic food.

I will definitely be back, that is, if I can get a booking. It would be really good if they can change their booking system to something like Dimmi...just a suggestion...

Taste Test Total Score 17.5/20

Address: 22/145 Stirling Highway, Nedlands WA 6008
Telephone: 0431 040 899
Website: http://www.marumo.com.au
Reservations: Yes

Opening times
Tuesday to Saturday: 7:00pm - 10:30pm
Sunday and Monday: CLOSED

Marumo on Urbanspoon