Friday, 28 March 2014

Taste Test - Cantina 663: An unexpected experience

I have always been a fan of the food at Cantina 663 however service can sometimes be a bit hit and miss. Last night I went there with my workmates and I wasn't going to blog about it but we had a bit of an issue so thought I would share the experience. 

One of my workmates is vegetarian and the waitress who took our order knew that because we ordered a whole lot of dishes to share and then ordered an extra mushroom risotto for her after I finished ordering for the carnivores. Unfortunately, our food (which was really good by the way) kept coming but the risotto did not come out and my friend was getting quite irritated because she was hungry, it was getting quite late and we were all eating. She was ready to leave the restaurant if the risotto did not come out in the next few minutes and rightly so. We asked our waitress who said she'll check on the risotto but never came back so we had to ask another waitress (waitress 2) who came back and said it would be ready in the next few minutes and that she was terribly sorry and it was their fault and that they won't charge for the risotto.

Unfortunately when the risotto did arrive it was lukewarm, my friend was not impressed and I returned the dish for her along with our risotto as it was also lukewarm. Waitress 2 was terribly sorry and said she will get them remade (as they don't reheat) but it will take 10 minutes, however she asked my friend whether she wanted to try the gnocchi instead which will take a lot less time. My friend decided to give the gnocchi a go and luckily it was better than the risotto and she was happy not only because the gnocchi was good but also because how well waitress 2 treated her and the situation. Our risotto came back on a piping hot plate and it tasted much better than the lukewarm one from before.

When we went to pay, waitress 2 told us that our 3 mains would be complimentary as well as our duck liver parfait (which was awesome by the way and my favourite dish) and the extra bread we ordered and said she hopes to see us again. I thought it was a very nice gesture and I made sure I told her that when we paid as there are a lot of restaurants which will not even bat an eyelid or will still charge you even if they say they're sorry. Waitress 2 was very professional, empathetic, very apologetic and dealt with the situation so well and I was very impressed with her. Our original waitress, although did not ensure that the risotto came out first was actually very professional and was able to top up our water and wine without us even noticing until we go to drink and find more wine or water in our glasses (amazing!).

Apart from that major hiccough, our dinner was great because the company was awesome and the food was good.

Address: 663 Beaufort Street, Mount Lawley WA 6050
Telephone: (08) 9370 4883
Website: http://www.cantina663.com/
Reservations: Yes

Opening times
Monday to Saturday: 7:30am - late
Sunday: 7:30am - 3pm

Cantina 663 on Urbanspoon