Friday, 10 January 2014

Taste Test - Six Senses Thai Restaurant

Tonight was my first outing in 2014 with a couple of my favourite ladies, HS and LD, who I haven't seen properly since before my trip to the USA and Canada. I was oncall for work this week so decided on Six Senses Thai Restaurant because it was close to work so I can quickly duck out and come back again if I get called. 

I have walked past this restaurant on numerous occasions but I have never been in. When I arrived, HS and LD were already sitting there waiting because I got called back to work before dinner, boo! Well I guess the good thing was that there was already a bottle of water on the table and an ice bucket with the wine sitting inside ready to go.



As usual, we get carried away chatting and was prompted a few times from the waitress before we actually looked at the menu.


Our order

Entree
Betel Leaf (3 pcs) (A traditional Thai snack. Betel leaf filled with prawn, Thai herbs and the chef's special sauce. Try to eat it in one mouthful) $11.50

Mains

Gang Phed Ped Yang (A rich red curry of roasted duck with lychee, pineapple, cherry tomatoes and vegetables) $28.50
Spicy Crispy Basil with Soft Shell Crab (Deep fried soft shell crab topped with special homemade chilli sauce, pineapple, tomato, onion, cucumber and crisp basil leaves) $28.50
Chilli Basil Noodle with Crispy Pork Belly (Spicy and aromatic, stir-fried thick flat rice noodles with fresh chilli, egg and sweet basil) $24.50
Steamed Jasmine Rice x 2 $6 ($3 each)

Dessert

Mochi Ice Cream ?$

Food and presentation - 3.5/5
The food at Six Senses Thai Restaurant was nice but could be better considering the prices they are charging. The betel leaf was pretty tasty but I think they were a little heavy handed with the fish sauce.
Betel Leaf (3 pcs) $11.50
The Gang Phed Ped Yang was flavoursome but I've had better red duck curry and I would've liked a bit more sauce.

Gang Phed Ped Yang $28.50
The soft shell crab was nothing special but nothing to complain about either, although I have to say they did a good job with the frying. Many a times I've had fried food and it's soaked through with oil because it hasn't been fried properly, so kudos to the chef at Six Senses Thai Restaurant.

Spicy Crispy Basil with Soft Shell Crab $28.50
What can I say about the basil noodle? I liked the pork belly (which was a little dry) and thought the noodles could be a little bit more dry (it was slightly gluggy) but it tasted good.

Chilli Basil Noodle with Crispy Pork Belly $24.50
The most disappointing dish of the night was dessert, I love mochi ice cream when it is done well, but this one wasn't. The mochi wasn't the right texture and the ice cream inside wasn't very nice. Sad end to the evening in terms of food, luckily the company was amazing throughout.

Mochi Ice Cream ?$
Service - 3.5/5

The waitresses were friendly and they did come over and ask us a few times whether we were ready to order. Six Senses is one of the few Asian restaurants where the menu wasn't filled with spelling and grammatical errors which was refreshing. Our food came out relatively quickly and there were no hiccups along the way. I would've given them a higher mark, had the waitress that took our dessert order not been so abrupt and pulled a face, maybe I'm being petty but hey.

Atmosphere and decor - 4/5

I really liked the decor at Six Senses Thai Restaurant and there was certainly a buzz. It was comfortable and nice and intimate. However, I definitely took marks off for the bathroom which was out the back in the rear carpark and needed some work to make it acceptable.

Value for money - 3.5/5
Don't get me wrong, the food was good and I didn't mind paying the prices charged, but for a lot less I can get a much better meal at a casual dining Thai restaurant so I guess I'm paying for the decor.

Taste Test Total Score 14/20

Address: Shop 23, 17-31 Rokeby Road, Subiaco WA 6008
Telephone: 0401 716 585 / 0414 235 531
Website: http://www.sixsensesthai.com.au/
Reservations: Yes

Opening times

Monday to Sunday: 12pm - 10pm (closed between 3pm - 5:30pm)

Six Senses Thai Restaurant on Urbanspoon