As we approached the entrance to Sake Bar, we were greeted by the maître d' who quickly showed us to a table. At 6:30pm on a Friday night, they were pretty quiet - only a table of 6 girls and another table at the bar occupied by a single man.
- Rainbow Roll (starting from the inside out we have rolled crab meat, sliced cucumber & Avocado with sesame topped with a mix of our freshest sashimi) $19.90
- Chef's specially selected Sashimi (18 pieces) $28
- Wagyu Beef Tataki (locally sourced Wagyu beef seared to seal in flavour served up with lime vinegar sauce & garnished with crispy garlic chips) $18
- Tori Karage (ginger marinated chicken pieces, crispy fried & served with wasabi mayonnaise) $10
- Traditional Steamed Rice (our rice is made using traditional wooden vats to produce a great flavoured, fluffy and sticky finish) $3.50
- Miso Soup (aged Miso imported from Nagano prefecture, Japan, for the fullest flavour possible also with Spring Onion, Seaweed and Tofu) x 2 $9 ($4.50 each)
Green tea x 2 $6 ($3 each)
Food and presentation - 1.5/5
The food was beyond disappointing. This is the worst meal I've had at Sake Bar and probably at a Japanese restaurant. Let's begin with the rainbow roll. As soon as it came out I could tell that the sashimi on top of the sushi was not fresh, the most obvious being the salmon, it wasn't the bright orange typical of fresh salmon, the avocado looked a bit sad, it was falling apart and I've never seen such thinly sliced sushi before. When hubby and I took our first bite, we knew immediately that it was pre-made and been sat there for goodness knows how long. Not acceptable!
|Rainbow Roll $19.90|
|Chef's specially selected Sashimi $28|
|Wagyu Beef Tataki $18|
|Tori Karage $10|
Service - 3/5
The service tonight was better than I remembered. The waitresses were polite, attentive and cleared our plates as soon as we were finished, a bit pushy but it didn't annoy me too much tonight (I must be either really tired or in a really good mood). However, we had to ask for our tea to be topped up every time and although they were quick to come back with the tea pot to fill up our cups, I didn't think it was very good considering they only had 2 other tables to look after and there were at least 4 waitresses on the floor.
Atmosphere - 3/5
The décor at Sake Bar is quite nice and it's got a Japanese feel to it although there was not much of an atmosphere here tonight.
Value for money - 1/5
Definitely not worth the money. I can think of so many other places that are cheaper with better quality food. I was slightly happier after the Entertainment card discount but still felt it was expensive for the bad food that we were served.
After this visit, I've decided I won't be returning to Sake Bar.
Taste Test Total Score 8.5/20
Entertainment Book 2013/2014 Information
Section A - Fine and Contemporary Dining
Page - A138
Offer - 25% off the total bill up to $40 value